Sunday, August 26, 2012

A New Year...

I love a new school year.  A fresh start.  A do-over.  Clean slate.  Last year was ok... we didn't end nearly as well as I would have liked so now here we are getting to start again.  A chance to redeem myself and start anew.  This year I have one in 2nd grade and one in pre-K, both girls.  We are using My Father's World for our main curriculum, Math-U-See for Math and A Beka for Language Arts. We also are participating in a co-op class (music theory) and we'll do swim & gym at the Y again starting in a few weeks.  We also do other things like soccer, Keepers of the Faith, playdates, etc.

We just finished our second week in Adventures in My Father's World and so far I'm loving it!  We had previously done 2 years of World History so I'm grateful for a change of pace and moving onto American History.  I'm seriously considering stretching this curriculum out to 2 years and going through it more thoroughly.  We spent all of 1 day on Leif Ericsson and my 7 year old loves vikings!  I got a bunch of books to supplement at the library but we haven't had a chance to look at half of them yet!  She is a big reader and this week read "How to Train your Dragon" and "Vikings at Sunrise".  We also watched "How to Train your Dragon" (what a great reward for reading a book with 19 chapters!!!) and Veggie Tales "Lyle the Kindly Viking".  This past week was all about Christopher Columbus and now tomorrow we're supposed to be moving onto to John Smith and Jamestown.  I think instead we'll pause and look at some more on vikings and Christopher Columbus.

Let me finish by sharing some pics...
This is me (well... my feet, hand a glass of wine) on the deck of a Bed & Breakfast that my husband took me to as a getaway before the girls and I started school.  It was in Hermann, Missouri which is known for their wineries. We had a great night away just the two of us!  He spoils me so and he's all mine!  I'm so blessed by him!!!!
Here we are...
This is how I set up our kitchen table the night before we started school.  Don't think I've got it all together... this was a total last minute, throw together thing.
Some other first day of school pics...


The signs the girls are holding are from the following link:  http://www.howdoesshe.com/free-exclusive-1st-day-of-school-printables









2 comments: